Wednesday, November 17, 2010

We Know Who We Are

This first article is titled On Becoming Male: Reflectinos of a Sociologist on Childhood and Early Socialization by James M. Henslin After reading this article numerous memories came to mind from my childhood that I could easily relate to. I remember sitting on the swings and hoping that I could go and play kickball with the boys. I knew that if I was to walk over and ask to play they would all stare at me with mouths wide open. Playing sports on the playground wasn't something girls did, well not unless you count jump rope-lame I know. This article discusses how parents obsess over our sex and force upon us things that are associated with being a boy or a girl. Blue balloons outside the house for a newborn boy and Pink of course for a girl. Early on we were told how to act and that is what influences us into becoming masculine or feminine. Boys were told to be rough and tough with their toys where as girls would sit inside and brush their dolls hair. Girls should be dainty and strive to be pretty. Boys would be allowed more privileges and they would thank god they weren't born a girl.
All of the things in this article are very stereotypical although I can't say that there not true. In a way it does seem like boys have it easier. There is always the double standard, especially staying out late. I know that my brother would come home late into the night and my parents wouldn't say a word, but then when I ask to go out with a boy they would say, "no."

The other article is called On Becoming Female: Lessons Learned in School by Donna Eder.
"Girls are sent a strong message that what they do and who they are is less important then how they look." This article talks about a particular middle school where the popular girls are typically cheerleaders. To be honest I'm not surprised because when I was in middle school it was the same. Reading some of these conversations between the girls aren't foreign to me. They sound like typical conversations. Theres something about putting down someone else that makes you feel better. We all do it, maybe not face to face, but we most certainly talk behind other peoples backs. Its sad to think that us girls can't be proud of who we are and that we are constantly trying to change, but for what? Is it the attention from boys that we want? Or do we want other girls to become jealous of us? I believe it is a little bit of both. Girls are sent such strong messages through the media to look a certain way. Many of these images that we see are edited. Nobody is perfect, yet we strive to be just that.

2 comments:

  1. I really like how you ended your blog, "Nobody is perfect, yet we strive to be just that." This a very true statement. Girls are put under social pressures to be a curtain way. But being the average girl is not enough. There is an untold competition. You must be the absolute best girl you can be, better than everyone else. This is what leads to the trash tallking, and gossip. It would be easier if society did not pressure us into thinking a girl has to be type-A and instead just let everyone grow up and be who they want to be. I like the points you highlighted in your blog about what society expects a girl to do. It does not seem that these ideal images of what a girl should be will be changing any time soon. If we want our images changed then us girls have to take the steps to make a change in soceity. Not that it's an easy task. Just ignologing the fact that there are social influences of how genders should act is a good start though. Good blog.
    -kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that there are those standards set for both boys and girls about how they should act. Boys are supposed to be masculine and tough, while girls are supposed to be pretty and feminine. I remember the playground from when I was little and the same thing happened: the boys were playing rougher games and sports in the field while the girls were just circled around talking or playing less exciting games. We have seen these stereotypes for the sexes since we were little; even for babies there are certain colors that are "supposed" to go with the different sexes. People might say that they are trying to rise above the stereotypes, but I think it is difficult, especially with all of the influences of the media. The media emphasizes and magnifies the stereotypes. It can have an impact on how people look and feel, especially focused towards women.
    - Caitlin C

    ReplyDelete